November 6, 2018
School Bus Stop Safety Tips
In light of recent events in Pennsylvania and around the country, bus stop safety is a major concern for our students and families. Please review the information provided below to help keep our students safe when boarding and exiting their school bus. It is also important to speak with your children about the following recommendations. If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us for assistance.
The Pennsylvania State Police offer safety tips for children
Parents and guardians should keep reminding their children of the following:
- When getting off a bus, look to make sure no cars are passing on the shoulder.
- Before crossing a street, take five giant steps out from the front of the bus, or until the driver’s face can be seen.
- Wait for the driver to signal that it is safe to cross.
- Look left-right-left when coming to the edge of the bus to make sure traffic is stopped.
- With the onset of inclement winter weather approaching use more caution when crossing the road or standing near the roadway.
The Pennsylvania Department of Transportation offers advice on school bus safety for drivers
- Being aware red flashing lights on buses indicate students are either entering or exiting a bus.
- Motorists must stop at least 10 feet from a school bus that is displaying red flashing lights and/or its stop arm is extended when approaching from the rear and from the opposite direction on undivided roads.
- Motorists are not required to stop for a bus if the bus is on the opposite side of a separated roadway (divided by a physical barrier or median, etc.), but they should remain alert for children.
- Altering a route or schedule to avoid a bus route is one way motorists can help improve safety.
- Motorists should always watch for school crossing patrols and pedestrians, as well as reducing speeds in and around school zones.
- Every corner is a crosswalk. Motorists should always watch and stop for pedestrians. The law applies to street corners for both marked and unmarked crosswalks (in other words, all street corners).
As a reminder, parents/guardians should remain with their children until the students board the bus, and also be present at bus stop locations for drop-off.